Lifespan Sexuality Education: Our Whole Lives
Our Whole Lives (OWL) is a lifespan, comprehensive sexuality education program, inclusive and holistic in its approach. OWL is created as a collaboration between the Unitarian Universalist Association and United Church of Christ. Honest, accurate information about sexuality changes lives, builds self-esteem and self-acceptance, improves decision making, and encouraging positive relationships. For these reasons and more, we are proud to offer OWL programs at East Shore. These programs are led by specially trained volunteers from our congregation and faith.
Register today for East Shore’s upcoming Our Whole Lives courses:
Ages 50+/Older Adult: A holistic sexuality education curriculum for older adults. Comprehensive and progressive, this program addresses sexuality with sensitivity and respect for older adults’ wisdom and life experience.
Tuesdays March 3-May 26, 10 a.m.-12 p.m. in the East Shore Unitarian Church Education Building, Classroom E-201; 12 2-hour workshops
Ages 12-14/Grades 7-8: A sexuality education program for youth that models and teaches caring, compassion, respect, and justice. A holistic program that moves beyond the intellect to address the attitudes, values, and feelings that youth have about themselves and the world. September 22, 2019-May 17, 2020, 25 90-minute workshops
Ages 5-7/Grades 1-2: Supports parents and kids in learning about birth and sexuality. The program affirms all kinds of families and helps children identify and avoid sexual abuse. Activities include stories, songs, arts and crafts. January 5-March 2020, 10 60-minute workshops
Ages 10-12/Grades 5-6: This program helps participants learn about and discuss the physical and emotional changes of puberty. The program offers accurate, unbiased information on human sexuality to preteens who need it to make responsible decisions and stay healthy. 12 60-minute workshops
Ages 15-17/Grades 10-11: Comprehensive program for grades 10-11. Activities help participants make healthy, well-informed decisions about relationships and sexuality. 14 60-minute workshops
Ages 35-50/Adults: Using values, communication skills and spirituality as starting points, this program explores sexuality issues for adults of all ages. Builds understanding of healthy sexual relationships, affirms diversity and helps participants accept and affirm their own sexuality throughout their lives. 14 2-hour workshops
Our OWL programs are offered biannually, or given participant and teacher availability.
Our Whole Lives Offers
- Accurate information presented in developmentally appropriate ways
- Affective and emotional learning
- Guiding values and principles
- Activities that help participants clarify values and improve decision-making skills
- A safe and supportive peer group
- Acceptance of diversity
- A social justice approach to inclusive sexuality education
- Step-by-step instructions for program promotion, implementation, and facilitation
- Parent orientation that affirms parents as their children’s primary sexuality educators
- Facilitator trainings and continuing education to increase knowledge, skills, confidence
- Expert user support from OWL Program Associate (UUA) and OWL Program Coordinator (UCC)
- Sexuality and Our Faith, an optional religious supplement for use in Unitarian Universalist and United Church of Christ settings.
For scholarship requests, please contact Amanda Uluhan, RE Programs Coordinator.