Lifespan Sexuality Education: Our Whole Lives
Our Whole Lives (OWL) is a lifespan, comprehensive sexuality education program, inclusive and holistic in its approach. Honest, accurate information about sexuality changes lives, building self-esteem and self-acceptance, improving decision making, and encouraging positive relationships. For these reasons and more, we are proud to offer OWL programs at East Shore. These programs are led by specially trained volunteers from our congregation and faith.
Our OWL programs are offered biannually, or given participant and teacher availability.
To get an idea of the first OWL program, a curriculum for Kindergarten and First Grade level, here are two videos:
Our Whole Lives Offers
- Accurate information presented in developmentally appropriate ways
- Affective and emotional learning
- Guiding values and principles
- Activities that help participants clarify values and improve decision-making skills
- A safe and supportive peer group
- Acceptance of diversity
- A social justice approach to inclusive sexuality education
- Step-by-step instructions for program promotion, implementation, and facilitation
- Parent orientation that affirms parents as their children’s primary sexuality educators
- Facilitator trainings and continuing education to increase knowledge, skills, confidence
- Expert user support from OWL Program Associate (UUA) and OWL Program Coordinator (UCC)
- Sexuality and Our Faith, an optional religious supplement for use in Unitarian Universalist and United Church of Christ settings.
OWL classes are $25 per attendee for member/pledging friends. Junior High and High School OWL classes have a higher fee for non-members $300 for Junior High and $150 for High School.
For scholarship requests, please contact Aisha Hauser, Director of Lifelong Learning.
In 2017 – 2018 we are offered three levels of OWL
Junior High (Grades 7 – 9)
This class meets before service at 9 am beginning Sunday, September 17, 2017, and continuing through May 2018. The class is 90 minutes long. There is a mandatory parent orientation meeting on Saturday, September 16th from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
High School (Grades 10 – 12)
This class meets before service at 9 am beginning Sunday, January 7, 2018, and continuing through May with breaks for holidays. The class is 120 minutes long. There is a mandatory parent orientation meeting on Saturday, January 6th from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Kindergarten & Grade 1
This class meets after service at 11:30 am beginning on Sunday, January 7, 2018, with a parent meeting and continuing through April with breaks for holidays. The class is 60 minutes long. A parent/guardian attends the first and last session with their child.