Building community is essential to East Shore’s mission, and East Shore has chosen to use Community Circles as a major way to build community. Because you are a valued member or friend of East Shore, we really encourage you to participate in as many circles as you can. In our view, circles are an exciting and effective way that we have available to build connection with others.
Community Circles are a simple, structured framework for encouraging discussion and enabling all voices to be heard:
- If you are a quiet, thoughtful person, come to a circle. There’s no rush. Everyone takes their turn without interruption.
- If you have a quick wit and sharp mind, come to a circle. You will have opportunities to discover your deeper thoughts, share them and be heard.
- If you want to listen to the views and insights of others and prefer not to comment, come to a circle and decide each turn if you care to speak or pass.
- If you simply want a chance to get to know others better, come to a circle and hear life stories that shaped their views.
Unlike Covenant Circles which have a fixed membership, Community Circles welcome everyone who shows up and are willing to be guided by our agreed covenant. There are no prerequisites and all members and friends of East Shore are welcome. Each circle is hosted by a circle leader who introduces the process and offers some reflection questions to which participants respond. It’s an opportunity for us to listen and engage authentically with each other in an inclusive, supportive setting, and to explore topics that bring meaning to our lives.
This year there are many more opportunities to interact at a deeper level with other church members-
Third Saturday Community Circle. This is a continuation of the large community circle that we started last year. Pam Orbach is normally the facilitator. .
- Third Saturdays 9 to 11 a.m. – Sep 21, Oct 20, Nov 16, etc. – in the Sanctuary
New this fall: Community Circles are now offered at various times to accommodate your varied schedules. All are welcome at any time and as often as you like. We will host circles each month on:
- Third Wednesdays 10 a.m. to noon – Sep 18, Oct 16, Nov 20, etc. – in room E-202
- Third Thursdays evening from 7 to 9 p.m. – Sep 19, Oct 17, Nov 21, etc. – in room E-202
- First Sundays 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. – Oct 6, Nov 3, Dec 1, etc. – in the Sanctuary
Please select one or more circles to attend each month. Please join us to share your deepest thoughts about community, safety, spirituality, trust, and much more. Discover the power of listening and sharing to open hearts and build new friendships. Discover our own deeper thoughts and feelings and see each other in new and surprising ways.
We are writing this on behalf of the newly expanded Right Relations team, who are working hard to bring us all together to live out added layers of spirituality and community.
Jennifer Sumner and Doug Strombom