For years, Nancy Worsham, a member of East Shore since the 70s, has partnered with Congregations for Kids to host our Back to School Supplies drive. This year, as Nancy as her husband Jerry continue to age and are now living in Seattle, she’s taken a step back. We want to take this opportunity to lift up Nancy’s service to within the East Shore community as well as to the greater community. This program contributes directly to the well-being of children and youth in our local neighborhoods surrounding the church. Thank you Nancy!
Congregations for Kids, a coalition of local congregations, helps students from low income families within the Bellevue, Washington School District have a Good Start Back to School. Partnering with the school district, Eastside businesses, and community organizations, we equip these students with backpacks and supplies needed for the school year.
Items needed and requested – 2019 – (All donated items should be new)
- Sturdy Backpacks for all grade levels, no slings or wheels; padded backs for 4th through high school; large size for middle and high school, with laptop compartments; solid colors for HS; no red for MS or HS
- Erasers, standard size pink
- Glue sticks
- Crayola crayons, boxes of 24
- Markers, boxes of 8-10, wide, washable, Crayola Classic Colors
- Markers, boxes of 10, thin, non-washable, Crayola Classic Colors
- Markers, Expo dry erase chisel tip black
- Pencils, colored, sets of 12, Crayola brand
- Scissors, 5″ pointed, Fiskars brand only
- Scissors, 5″ blunt, Fiskars brand only
- 8GB+ USB flash drives
Note: The list of supplies requested is much smaller this year, as they already have the other needed supplies and have also ordered kits of supplies for 4th grade through high school.
Volunteering: Congregations for Kids can always use volunteers, particularly during the sorting and packing phase of the project, August 12-15. Volunteers must be of at least middle school age. All volunteers must register with our volunteer coordinator in order to participate.
The 2019 project packing will begin Monday, August 12, with donations turned in 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and on Tuesday, 10:00 a.m. to noon. Packing will begin Wednesday.
Please email your interest in becoming involved in this vital program here.
Gifts of money are vital additions to the program because we can fill in the gaps of supplies and backpack donations by directly purchasing needed items. All donations are tax deductible. EISCC is an IRS 501(c)(3) tax exempt entity, EIN 94-3036001.
Checks should be written to: Congregations for Kids/EISCC and Mailed directly to: Eastside Interfaith Social Concerns Council, P.O. Box 662, Bellevue, WA 98009-0662